Page header image

Mental Health Professionals

What types of mental health professionals are there?

There are many types of mental health professionals. Each type has specific educational backgrounds, training, licensing, and techniques. You may be confused by the "alphabet soup" of terms such as PhD, MD, MA, PsyD, MFCC, or LCSW. Here are some explanations of different kinds of mental health professionals:

  • Psychiatrists are medical doctors (MDs) who are trained in the medical aspects of mental health. They can prescribe medicines as well as provide therapy. They must take 4 years of special training in psychiatry after they get their medical degree. They must pass a national exam to become board certified.
  • Psychologists are trained in counseling, testing, and therapy. They work with many kinds of problems and different types of therapy. They may use tests such as IQ tests, personality tests, and career tests. They may work with individuals, couples, families, and groups. They cannot prescribe medicine in most states.

    Psychologists may have either a master's degree (MA) or a doctoral degree (PhD, PsyD, EdD). They complete at least 1 year of special training after earning their degree. They must pass a national exam to become licensed.

  • Psychiatric nurses are registered nurses (RN) with a master's degree. They are trained to assess mental and physical illness. They may provide individual, family, and group counseling. In some states, it is legal for a psychiatric nurse to prescribe medicines.
  • Most social workers have a master's degree (MSW) in social work. They have special training that helps them understand how culture and society affect people. Some social workers teach classes about how to make a budget, deal with anger, or other life skills. They may work with individuals, couples, families, and groups.
  • Licensed clinical social workers (LCSW) help people with mental illness or substance abuse problems. They have a master's or doctoral degree. They must complete 2 years of supervised experience after they earn their degree and pass a national exam to be licensed.
  • Most school psychologists have a PhD, PsyD, or EdD degree. They help students with school and personal problems. They work with teachers, parents, and others to help kids with learning and behavior problems. They may test for learning disabilities, and help develop individualized education plans (IEP). They provide therapy only if it relates to helping students.
  • Marriage, family, and child counselors (MFCC) are therapists who have a graduate degree in counseling or psychology. They work with people who have problems in relationships.
  • Pastoral counselors are members of the clergy such as priests, ministers, or rabbis. They have training in both counseling and religion.
  • Psychotherapist is a very general term. Anyone who treats mental and emotional problems can be called a psychotherapist. They may or may not have special training or a degree.

How do I find a mental health professional?

Ask questions and get referrals from people whom you know and trust. The following people or organizations may help you begin your search:

  • Your family doctor.
  • Your clergyman, school teachers, or school counselors.
  • Friends or family members who have been in therapy.
  • An employee assistance program (EAP) available through your employer.
  • Community mental health or human service agencies.
  • Nearby hospitals or university medical centers.
  • University departments of psychology, social work, or child development
  • The Yellow Pages of your telephone directory.

You may also want to contact professional organizations such as:

  • American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry
  • American Association of Marriage and Family Therapy
  • American Psychiatric Association
  • American Psychological Association
  • National Association of Social Workers.
Written by Pamela Daniel, PhD
Published by McKesson Provider Technologies.
Last modified: 2006-10-03
Last reviewed: 2006-02-21
This content is reviewed periodically and is subject to change as new health information becomes available. The information is intended to inform and educate and is not a replacement for medical evaluation, advice, diagnosis or treatment by a healthcare professional.
Copyright 2006 McKesson Corporation and/or one of its subsidiaries. All Rights Reserved.
Page footer image